Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Celebrations

As we prepare for the 4th of July tomorrow and in my continuation of Leviticus I want to dig into the idea of celebrations.

Michael and I got married in October of 2011 and really had only spent a few holidays together because we didn't date very long.  I don't look back on this and regret it, however, I do think we should have had some conversations about holidays.  When Christmas came along last year Michael didn't want to put up a Christmas tree.  I was SHOCKED!  "You mean, we can't put up a tree with all the ornaments that I had collected over the years?"  I didn't understand and it led to several hard conversations and lots of tears.  My mother-in-law, Keely, had some great conversations with us though.  We worked through all of those and we decided to put up a Christmas tree.

I am telling you all this because in my reading today I read through Leviticus 22-23.  In this God gave the Israelites several different "feasts" to celebrate with specific rules for each of them.  Passover, Unleavened Bread, Pentecost, and Trumpets to name just a few.  Each of these days or weeks were set apart for specific reasons.  For example, Pentecost was celebrating the end of the barley harvest and the beginning of the wheat harvest.  It showed joy and thanksgiving over a bountiful harvest.  I think about Thanksgiving when I think about Pentecost.  Shelters was another celebration because it reminded them of God's protection and guidance in the desert.  It renewed their commitment to God and trust in His guidance and protection.

When Michael and I had some conflicts over the Christmas tree I now realize that it wasn't over the Christmas tree.  He was trying to dig deeper and ask why it is that we celebrate these holidays and do the things we do.  Is it simply because of tradition and that's what our parents did?  Or do we do it because it is pleasing and honoring to the Lord?

I know that we have discussed this topic so many times and there are certain holidays we won't celebrate when we have children.  As I am understanding all of this more, though I do think setting aside other days throughout the year to help us remember God's grace, love, mercy, justice, and His ultimate sacrifice.

Question time:

1) Think about the holidays you celebrate.  Why do you celebrate them and for what purpose?

Lord, help us to keep the focus on You when we celebrate holidays.  Help me to always give thanks to You for these special days.  We wouldn't be celebrating anything if it wasn't for Your love for us.  Thank you for giving us these times to remember You and to honor Your name!  Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Hey. Joe and I have looked into this and we celebrate passover and shabbat (Family Night). We have found such joy in these as we sought out God's word and why he did these Holidays. :)I also have a book called Walk with Yesuah in the Jewish Year for kids. It is Awesome. We had fun talking about the Biblical celebrations and celebrating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Maybe I could borrow it and look at it. Obviously we don't have any kiddo's at this point, but I know we will one day and I would love to get y'alls input on it. I am so glad to know that there are other people out there who question and dig deep. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Hey Britt! I remember those conversations during the Christmas season. Kalen and I have had the same conversations, but it was about Santa Clause and overly decorating in general. What you wrote about is exactly why I don't find a lot of use in exalting or decorating with Santa Clause during Christmas. Telling the story of Santa Clause is purposeful (because he was a Saint and good, Christ-honoring man that I know of), but him being the thing that our children get excited about the most during Christmas seems idolish if you ask me. So, that's why we want to keep CHRIST as the main focus, and tell our children (Lord willing) about Santa Claus, but not have him be reason why their getting gifts. It just confuses them - it sure confused me as a child! Then when I realized Santa wasn't real I questioned Jesus Christ being real... scary!

    Anyways, it's hard (because we're living in a pagan world where Satan is the prince) to keep Christ the center of all the holidays! We must keep everything Holy (and this takes purpose and prayer and inniciative) and do it unto the Lord. Thanks for the reminder, Britt! Glad God is teaching you so much! Didn't know about all the treasures in the Old Testament! How encouraging! Love you!

    ReplyDelete