Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Idols

When I think of the word idol I tend to think of actual items that could be found in my house.  I don't usually think of activities being idols.  In my quiet time this morning with the Lord, I was reminded of idols.  1 Samuel begins with a priest named Eli who was a great priest.  He loved the Lord and did great things.  But he soon lost focus.  He was more concerned with the symbols of his religion than with the God they represented.  For Eli, the ark of the covenant had become a relic to be protected rather than a reminder of the Protector.

I was also reminded through a sermon series Michael and I have been listening too.  Craig Groeschel is the pastor at Lifechurchtv.com.  Here is the latest sermon series called From This Day Forward.  This Sunday will be the final week in the series and I can't wait.  The first sermon was called Seek God and I simply loved it!  He talked about seeking our 1 with our 2.  We as Christians will probably understand this, but I will break it down just in case.  In Michael and I's marriage we seek God first because He is our number 1 priority.  The love that we have for our Lord and Savior will overflow to the one He gave us; our spouse.  It's a triangle.  Together we seek God (our 1) with our spouse (our 2).  It makes perfect sense.  Right?  Then how is it that we get entangled in the daily routines of life and we forget about our 1?

All over the Old Testament I am seeing how the Israelites seek God, get comfortable, then fall away from God.  They live in their sin until they can't take it anymore and then they fall on their faces and ask God for forgiveness.  By His grace alone, He takes them back each and every time.  This happens time and time and time and time AND TIME again.  WHY?  Why can't they just get it right?  It is so incredibly simple to see where they mess up and why!  But yet they just don't get it!

As I take a look at myself, I realize I am the same way.  I would venture to say that you are too.  We ALL are!  As believers we know what we are supposed to do, we know the right things to say, but then we get comfortable and we forget.  We get relaxed and lose focus.

It frustrates the tar out of me when that happens in my walk.  I don't like it one bit.  I put my work before the Lord.  I put working out before the Lord.  I put my eating and health before the Lord.  I put my friends or family before the Lord.  I put reading good books before the Lord.  I take things in my own hands and do what I think and feel is best for me at the time.

Does that not SCREAM IDOL WORSHIP!  UGH!  I am a sinner and I admit it.  I mess up.  I choose things and activities over God.  Lord forgive me!

I was supposed to start a part time nannying job this week until we move to Austin in December.  God had other plans.  I remember being in D.C. and talking with the Lord.  God spoke very clearly to me in telling me to go to Austin with my husband.  To trust Him because He was going to work it all out.  Since that time, I have lost some trust and tried to figure it out on my own; i.e. nanny job.  Yesterday I was driving home from running some errands and it hit me.  I turned off the radio and began thanking God for the time that I had.  I laughed and cried all at once because had I been working, I wouldn't have had the time that I get right now.  I have time to dig deep into the Word each morning.  I have time to be the wife that I want to be.  I have time to work out, cook, clean, love on people, meet with people, and time to just breathe.  If I would be working, my time would be divided and I wouldn't be able to focus on those things.

I am so grateful for the time that I am getting to spend right now.  My friend Stacy posted on my Facebook this morning, "Enjoy the quiet, sister, because your next season probably won't be that way!"  

Lord, thank you for this time that you have given me to spend with You.  Help me not to lose sight of what You have called me to right now and to bask in Your presence.  Amen

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I struggle with putting other things first in my life...Avery, running, school...and God is calling me to fellowship with Him first. Praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete