Friday, June 29, 2012

Set Apart

I had the wonderful privilege to run with my mother-in-law this morning since Tiffany is out of town.  Leaving the house, though, I noticed there was a ton of stopped traffic on 45 this morning.  The entire freeway was shut down and I knew it was super bad.  I later found out that a man had entered the freeway from Tamina and proceeded to go northbound (towards Conroe) on the southbound (towards Houston) lane.  Two people lost their lives and the other two people were taken the to the hospital.  I immediately lifted them up in prayer and asked God to cover their families.  Very sad morning.

On a more happy note, I am excited to announce that I can drink coffee again!  I had stopped since eating Paleo because I just don't like it black.  Really I can't stand it.  I don't need it to be too fru fru, but seriously black is not acceptable for me.  I learned that I could put coconut milk in it, with a little vanilla and some cinnamon!  Sometimes I put a teaspoon or two of agave nectar in it.  DELICIOUS!

Onto what God spoke to me this morning.  I somewhat had a revelation!  It was pretty cool.  I was reading over some more boring parts about the laws and such and all of the ways they needed to stay clean and as I was reading, I realized the reason why God had the Israelites do all of this.  You see, God didn't make them go through all of this for the benefit of just making them look silly or showing them whose boss.  He did it because there was so much paganism in their culture.  People who worshiped their own God's or gave sacrifices however they saw fit instead of following God's commands.  God asked the Israelites to obey God and His commands so that they would be SET APART for Him!

How neat is that?!  We no longer have to go through all these rituals or things that require sacrificial goats or birds or whatever animal.  I am very thankful for that.  I like going hunting, but I don't think I would like to burn up whatever I shoot for many reasons.  I am thankful that, through Jesus, we can come to the foot of our Heavenly Father and that I, myself, can ask forgiveness for the sins I have committed and He will meet with me personally.  I also know that Christ has set me apart.  John 15:19 says, "If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own.  As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.  That is why the world hates you."  Romans 12:2 also says, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will."

How do I live set apart?  Do my co-workers, family members (saved and unsaved), and friends see something different in me?

Michael told me the other day to post some questions on here so that maybe I would get more comments or feedback.  So if you read this, answer these questions.  I know, it makes us vulnerable.  Step out in faith and trust God.

1) In the last few weeks, has someone recognized something different in you?  How did you know?

My Answer:  Michael has seen a difference in me this past week and I can only attribute that to God and his mercy.  He has given me the motivation to get up and work out and also to feel relaxed.  I wanted this summer to be rejuvenating for me and so far I can say that God has answered my prayer.  From reading, cleaning (which I totally enjoy), and laying out at the pool I feel rested and great!

2) In what ways do you feel you might need to change so that you do look different?

My Answer:  In public, I would like to do a better job at being bold in my faith and asking people if there are things I can pray for them about or not looking at them and judging them.  Allowing grace for others and loving them where they are at.

3) How can you put forth this change and in what way are you going to be held accountable for it?

My Answer:  Asking God to speak to me and to give me the boldness to step out in faith and then my husband can definitely hold me accountable as well as my close friends whom I meet with.

Hope this helps :)


Lord, I pray for the families of the wreck this morning.  I also lift this blog up to you and ask that You would be glorified in us.  That You would speak to us in whatever area it is that we need to change and reveal it to us.  I pray for vulnerable people to open up and share so that we could have some dialogue on the blog.  God, may this be for You and for Your glory!  In Christ's name I pray, Amen.

3 comments:

  1. So I responded to your questions, but after thinking about it, felt like I answered the first one wrongly. The first question I have is what kind of difference are you talking about? It feels prideful to answer that I do think I'm making a difference in peoples lives because no matter how much praise I get from people, only God knows if I'm truly making a difference - on my own initiative I cannot do anything- apart from Jesus- I make no eternal difference, so the answer to the first question is I don't know.

    The only way I can change is by praying more, obeying the Lord's still small voice, and spending time with Jesus more so that I can bear fruit!!! I desire the fruits of the Spirit- love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control...

    I know if I'm walking in these fruits I will make a difference because Jesus is shining the brightest!

    I can be held accountable by asking my husband daily if he see's the fruit of the Spirit in my life- since he's the closest to me!

    I hope I didn't butcher the questions... just trying to give honest-heart felt answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey,
    I read your response and I don't think you answered wrongly. I think God puts people in our lives or things or whatever to show us how He is working in our lives. The prideful part would be taking credit for it instead of giving God the credit. Does that make sense?

    I think prayer is the KEY to obedience and being more Christ-like for sure! I have enjoyed this week of spending time with the Lord and delving into what He wants from me and for me.

    I agree that husbands are great accountability and I know that you have your women's group. Close friends are also a great source for seeing what God is doing in our lives.

    I don't think you butchered the questions at all...this time or the last entry. Heartfelt answers are great and I was just hoping for some dialogue. Proverbs 31 has a ministry just for online Bible study so to speak and I thought it would be cool to maybe get others involved. This blog is an outlet for me, but I want to glorify God in it. Michael gave me the idea of the questions in which I am hoping to glorify God through.

    Thanks for your response! I am going to edit my blog entry to put my answers! Come back and read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok!!! Ah... Nice!!! :o) love it. The interaction is fun! & I will be praying for u in those areas!!! Love you sis!!

    ReplyDelete