Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Spaghetti and Meatballs

I used to love spaghetti and meatballs before I went Paleo, but now I have found that I can still enjoy this wonderful meal.  It isn't exactly the same as before, but definitely beats not having it at all!  I borrowed this recipe for Hip 2 Save.  I want to do some searching around for some recipes to make your own sauce because I didn't love the sauce I made.  Any suggestions just message me!

Ingredients:
For the “Spaghetti”:
1 spaghetti Squash and apparently you can use zucchini or butternut squash.  What’s nice about spaghetti squash is that you don’t need any sort of kitchen gadget to create the noodles and honestly I think the spaghetti squash made some great noodles!  Although a little dry and my friend Tiffany said to put some water in the pan so that it will soak up the moisture!  
For the Meatballs:
2 pounds ground turkey 
1/3 cup almond flour
2 eggs
3 cloves of minced garlic
A handful of fresh chopped basil (or about 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (for an added kick!)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking sheet. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and discard the seeds. Place spaghetti squash cut sides down on baking sheet. Bake for about 40 minutes. Once done, remove from oven and let cool.
While the squash is baking, you can start making the meatballs. Just throw all of the meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands until everything is incorporated. Form into balls and place the meatballs on a baking sheet.  Put pan in 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes (should already be preheated from the squash).  Once the squash is done, take a large scoop and scoop the noodles right out.  My husband was amazed at this when we did it!  

I wish I had a picture, but I just forgot to take one!  Next time I make it, I will for sure add a picture...or we have leftovers...maybe I will pretend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment