Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Idioms

Today I was teaching my kiddos about idioms and I had some weird revelation.  First let me explain what idioms are.  We have all heard the phrase "it's raining cats and dogs" or "go break a leg" or even "my heart has been broken".  However, we all know that it doesn't really rain cats and dogs and that you don't really mean go break a leg and our hearts aren't really broken.  They all loved learning about these today and I am hoping to do some other fun activity with them in the next few weeks.

So my revelation came when one of my kids said something like, "Oh, I heard that before!"  Well of course you have you just didn't know what it was exactly!  Have you ever stopped to think about all the things we know, but we really don't think we know?  For example, I got home from work tonight and still not feeling the greatest I didn't want to work out.  My wonderful husband was so sweet and kind to me and asked me nicely to work out and even said that it would help me if I did.  So, I got my workout clothes on and we went outside and did a "bumble bee" workout.  I did NOT like a single moment in the workout and was really ready to be over, but I kept pushing through.

When we came back inside, I just felt like a blah wife because I complained the whole time!  I don't want to be that kind of wife and I started to be really hard on myself.  I expressed this to Michael and he asked me,  "What does the Bible say about who a good wife is?"  I honestly couldn't think of anything!  Why?  I have no idea because I know these things and I have scripture memorized, but I couldn't think of one thing.  So he started quoting scripture from Ephesians and Proverbs and my mind was put to ease.

You may think that this was a stretch, but in some way I believe we all have moments like this.  Where we don't KNOW something, but really we do know it.  Does that make sense?  I hope it does and feel free to leave a comment if you are confused.

Lord, thank you for my wonderful husband who is loving, caring, and compassionate towards me.  Thank you for revealing Your goodness in small things.  Help me to know I am a good wife to my husband and help me to honor and respect him more.

No comments:

Post a Comment