Monday, April 23, 2012

Memorizing Scripture & Chewy-Granola Bar

I have never really been good at memorizing scripture, but Michael sure is.  I want to brag on him a little bit and  tell you how smart he is.  Anytime there is conflict, fear, hurt, or anything else that one would struggle with, Michael is quick to quote what the word says.  I don't know how he stuffs all of that in his memory, but I am so glad he can and that God gifted him with this.  I am going to challenge myself to memorize more scripture.  One verse that I am going to try and memorize this week is one our pastor spoke on this weekend.  It's 1 Peter 5:5 which says "Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older.  All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.'"  We are in the book of Romans at church and specifically on Romans 12.  Sunday was on humility.  I really enjoyed this sermon and wrote 2 pages of notes!  Some things that really stuck with me are that humility and price begin in the mind.  How you see yourself and how you think of yourself.  The Bible calls us to think with a sound, sober judgement in Romans 12:3.  I don't always get how to think with a sound, sober mind, but I sure do want to.  Another one that really hit home was to associate with the lowly and don't be to big for your britches.  So many times we don't want to even acknowledge those that are walking on the street or asking for money on the street corner or maybe even a waiter or waitress.  Not that we don't say thank you or anything, but do we stop and ask them their names or how we can pray for them?  Again, I want to brag on my husband.  He is so good at this!  At the grocery, gas station, restaurant, mall, shopping, or wherever we are he will always ask their name and tell them thank you!  Most times he asks how we can pray for that person too!  God is good and I am so glad that I married him ♥


Dinner tonight was a lot fun and really easy.  We bought some fresh cod as we are trying to buy more organic meat and as the budget allows.  I wanted to bake it and found this very easy and very simple recipe!  I borrowed this recipe from CFSCC.

Baked Cod:
Preheat oven to 375°
Sprinkle some oregano, pepper, sea salt, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder over the cod.  Bake for about 20 minutes or until the fish splits/flakes and voila!  I put the cod on a bed of cauliflower rice (see Sushi for how to make this) and added some sweet potato fries!  Below is a picture:



While that was baking, I have been wanting to try this recipe I found for paleo granola bars.  We don't eat granola because it is made up of grains and we don't eat grains.  I love a good granola bar and would like some things other than fruit to snack on throughout the day.  Here is the recipe that I based mine off of: Paleo Chewy-Granola Bars  I couldn't find all the ingredients at the store and I don't like coconut.  So I modified my recipe a bit.  Here is what I did:

Paleo Chewy-Granola Bars

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups sliced almonds
1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/3 cup raw pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
1 tbsp. brown sesame seeds
½ cup almond flour
1/3 coconut oil, melted
¼ cup almond butter
¼ cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¾ tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. flaxseed meal
1 ½ tbsp. water
¾ mini chocolate chips
¾ raisins


Preheat oven to 325.  Grease a 9X13 pan with coconut oil.
Mix the ground flax see with water and let it sit for 3-4 minutes.
Grind pepitas in a food processor a few times to break up the size.
Add coconut oil, almond butter, honey and vanilla to the flaxseed meal and water.
Add almond flour and baking soda and stir to combine.
Add slivered almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chocolate chips, and dried fruit.
Stir to combine.
Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and spread out and flatten with the back of a spatula.
Bake fore 22-23 minutes or until golden brown.  They do puff up so as soon as you remove them from the oven, flatten the bars back down.
Let them completely cool on the stove or in the fridge.
Cut them into bars and serve!




No comments:

Post a Comment