Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sushi

So I have been wanting to make some Paleo Sushi for the past few weeks, but I haven't had the time to sit down and do it.  Last night, though, I decided to make it!  I was quite impressed and excited to share it with my in-laws.  Here is what I did:

Paleo-Spicy California Roll:

This was really easy to make but did take a bit of preparation.  We went to HEB and we were going to purchase a bamboo sushi mat, however when we went to talk to the real sushi makers they were so sweet and gave us one!  We picked up some already cooked shrimp that wasn't organic, but I sure you could have gotten better shrimp.  There is also some sort of coconut aminos that you can purchase instead of using soy sauce.  We couldn't find that and so we just used soy!

Prep:
1. Mix cayenne pepper and garlic powder (1/2 tsp each) into 3 tbsp organic mayo
2. Slice cucumbers into matchstick width slices
2. Make a batch of cauliflower rice (all you need to do is use a ninja or food processor and it makes rice-like little chunks)
3. Mash an avocado

Rock n Roll:
1. Cover 1/3 seaweed with mayo
2. Cover 1/3 of seaweed with cauliflower rice and cucumber
3. Cover l/3 with mashed avocado and chopped shrimp
4. Roll!

Now before I rolled my sushi, I watched a YouTube video of how to actually roll the sushi.  I actually didn't need the mat to roll it because in paleo sushi you don't use sticky rice and the seaweed just rolls nicely.  You may want to try and use it though.  I learned that packing it less full and not adding a lot of spread, they turn out much nicer.

Below are some pictures:

This is the sushi without the shrimp.
This is the sushi with the shrimp and ready to roll.

Here it is rolled.  

And here it is cut.  It is best to cut it with a wet knife so that it doesn't stick to the sushi.  


And there you have it!!  It was definitely quite tasty and very fulfilling!  I think now that I know how to do it, it won't take as long next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment